Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Leaving Glacier National Park (Day 10)

Last night we built a nice fire and had leftover spaghetti for supper. There were no bugs (yet) but it got cold. We were fairly warm in our sleeping bags but our feet were cold. This morning I made oatmeal and 2 local chipmunks decided that they wanted to eat some with us. One scampered up my pant leg and sat on my knee. I was shocked and didn't know what to do! All of the signs around here say, "All of the animals are wild and dangerous, don't feed."
Our campsite was right by the river and there were at least 4 other tents. It was no nice not to have to see or listen to RV's or campers. Everyone was so quiet that we almost felt like whispering!

We broke camp and headed toward the east side of the park. Before leaving we wanted to see what the other side looked like. The roads were closed inside the park so we had to go around it on the south side.
The east side is of higher elevation and one gets the sense of scarcer trees and more peaks and snow.
Selena liked the west side better. I have vague memories of coming here when I was a kid.
The air is very cool still but there are signs of summer coming.

No comments: